Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Online Voter Registration At EmpowerTech

Yesterday I had the opportunity to chat awhile with one of our new students; I’ll call Willie, while he was waiting for his ride. Willie’s a 23 year old young man with Down Syndrome, with a smile that could light up the night sky and a sense of humanity that would make Mother Teresa proud. He told me he has 3 GOALS (notice the caps here) that he’s going to accomplish this year.

1. Graduate high school.
2. Graduate his TRADE program or “Eric’s Class” he so gently corrected me several times.
3. Vote!

This last goal was said with a sense of awe and determination like he and he alone was going to change the world on November 6. I think that many of us forget that voting is a privilege; I must tell you he reminded me of this yesterday. He knew not only whom he wanted for president but he also knew his local and state officials he was choosing to represent him. Now if this doesn’t impress you maybe this will; Willie also told me how he was going to vote on many of the Propositions that are on the ballot this year. He stated his reasons briefly but cogently with a nod a smile and the occasional fist pump. At one point he leaned closer to me, he was going to share a secret; “not everyone is going to vote that’s sad”. I am seldom at a loss for words, I’m also one to applaud other’s whenever applicable, but this time without trepidation I gave him a hug. He was right, that’s sad.

Many of us want to see change in the world and many of us, like Willie, are excited to vote in this year’s election. It’s true that a lot of people with disabilities vote but there countless people living with a disability that aren’t registered to vote. I for one along with several of our partners, want to change that.

It’s our privilege to announce that starting today Wednesday, September 26, between 3:30 and 6:00 and every Wednesday until October 10; we here at EmpowerTech will be helping people with disabilities register to vote online. (Please note that this is during our Free Open Access Lab).

Yes, we can change the world.

For more information please contact me at the number listed below.

***If you have a large group (30 or more) please let us know in advance so we can set up more stations

1 comment:

  1. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    deluxe tricycle double hand drive

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete